Tuesday 11 November 2014

Philippines


February 2014
Manila - Puerto Princesa - El.Nido - Coron - Manila

I've almost missed the plane from Sydney to Manila as was looking for some accommodation in Philippines online.
Luckily got free wi-fi on the Sydney airport as lady at counter required to see return ticket from Philippines. Since that time I've stoped using email.cz on mobile web browser and moved to gmail or yahoo email app which can be easily accessed off-line. As I bought cheap ticket flew through Taipei, Taiwan with few hours break between flights. Unfortunately I had no time ot leave airport to see the city well have to come back in future.

* Taipei airport offers FREE 110V AC/USB sockets and free Wi-Fi


Philippino frases






When flew from Taipei to Manila I was sitting next lady Maria anf her brother both in their 70's they were both originaly from Luzon, Philippines currently lived in Canada. They flew home to see other family members and sort some necessities. Her brother wasn't happy about the flight and started walking around. Later was calmed down by the stewardess as he wanted to go out. I've got christian bracelet for good luck from her. She also scared shit of me with stories about robbed tourists. So I was super careful for few months after meeting her. Her family also gave me lift to Makati and help organised hotel. It was expensive but luxury begin of my Asian trip in Holiday Inn : ) 
Mall of Asia, Manila, Philippines

Manila
The Cool & Bad city once you landing in Manila it looks impressive you can see lot of nice high buildings and development but once you step into the city you'll see brand new shiny skyscraper and homeless people seeping by its heel it's so sad when you see this increasing gap between rich / poor in Manila.
Main transport in Manila are Jeepinies, buses and Tuc-tucs. It is possible track some buses online but definitely not all. The second main language should be english but by my experience it's hard to deal with tickets sellers or drivers, I had mostly bad luck for people who didn't speak much english.

Me on trike for tourist in Intramuros, Manila, Philippines

Manila is huge city. The con's are the public transport which is messy for tourist without philippino language knowledge. Even if you follow google maps as I did you'll reach some point where is nobody who would be able to help you and direct you any further as low english skills of local people. All of the bus drivers are trying you get into the bus as they have more ppl more money of course. The funny thing is they keep bunch of money in the hand all the time once all passengers paid they keep re-calculating and picking of the tips. 

Places to see in Manila - Chinese cemetery, Intramuros, Rizal square
 

Level of exhaust emissions in Manila is pretty high as no cats for car and mainly Jeepenies, Buses and trucks are needed


Puerto Princes, Palawan, Philippines
I was reading the Philippines Lonely Guide during the flight from Manila to Puerto Princesa, Palawan and got an perfect idea. Since I was kid there was dream to become a scuba diver. Just before I left Czech republic in January 2014 I wanted to do Open water course but there were freezing temperatures and I was told that most of the scuba diver training can be done indoors in swimming pool but the last dive have to be done outdoors well I regret.
Luckily I've decided during the flight Manila - > PP to do Open water scuba diving course in Philippines. It was good exerience also course was 40USD cheaper there compared to Czech republic. Just after landing I took my two bags and walked outside of the airport as wanted skip expensive taxis, Tuk tuks, etc. Accidently I've took one who walked me outside he later pull me on the price. Normal price inside PP is something between 10 and 20PHP.

My first scuba diving experience PP (Puerto Princesa)

In Puerto Princesa I've done my both scuba diving trainings Open water and  Advanced Adventurer with SSI in Moana Hotel with instructor Danny. I was beaten by dog between scuba trainings luckily my good friend Rhea Kristine Navarra helped me to organise examination in hospital find cheap pharmacy with shots which I had to provided as they weren't stored in hospital and translated for me on all of these places. Big thanks to her again as it would be so difficult without native speaking person even in big town as Puerto Princesa ( PP ).

I did some "motorbike" ride around PP once finished these and my scuba diving training hit the road towards El.Nido. Well the drivers are loco loco  = crazy. Right they are nuts even that it takes roughly 7 hours on the road which is being developed ( approximately 50% done in February 2014 ). Took us 6h our driver was total nuts. If I knew I'll waste whole day to see how the dust from wheels covers all locals walking or living near by I'd book a plane ticket.

We survived the mini bus trip it was not even overloaded as usual and arrived to El.Nido with the sunset. We've finally meet with Petra. This meeting was planned from second day in Manila. I had some chat with her, her parents and in the morning we've met the crew all guys and got on board of our tour boat from El.Nido to Coron. It was morning full of expectations.

Boat Trip Elindo -> Coron
We were so lucky everything gone smooth everybody got on boat and were warmly welcomed by Jam's crew. The boat trip with Tao Philippines was purely Petra's idea and I can only say big thanks for that it was so relaxed,  chiled,  nice, easy inclding lot of snorkeling nice food places  - islands you'd call paradise we've stayed on. This boat cruise was something unbelievable. I've had few ideas as crazy imagination I have but none of my expectations would fulfilled this perfect trip. I simply l loved the time I could spent with all the nice people. That time I was heavily impressed by philippine culture, language and people that I've spent most of time with the crew.
Philippines nature is something unbelievable. Crystal clean water (I'm not talking about Manila) number of fish and sea species down there. It sounds stupid but it really is so hard to describe you just have to see that by your naked eye.
Later in 2014 after I left Philippines found that the Tao Philippines guys sit down pull in old fishermen from Malaysia, Indonesia and other countries and build Archipelago - the sail. I'm telling you at some stage I have to come back to be part of Archipelago island to island hoping as that has to be spotless trip. Our trip was perfect it was on engine boat. Well sail cruise on an Archipelago that has to be from the different world!

We started in El.Nido followed by first snorkel season on Secret beach it's so funny that everybody knows about the Secret beach. These were followed by few 3-4 snorkeling trips. Food was served on the boat anchored to the island.
 Sleeping was just perfect you don't need much just a beach, roof and moskito net and you'll sleep like never before. Forgot any stupid air conditioning which only make people sick you don't need that stuff!
Some days we stayed in hats right on the beach other in hats 100m away from the water. Showers were pure asian story - the pot. Fill and shower. Only disadvantage of the fresh water showers were mosquitoes it was sorted by repelents no big deal. Most of islands were uninhabited some had small village with nice local people on.
Our tour guide Jam who's going to tell you about Philippino source of power number one when you are there got also some fresh coconuts for us I beleive he'll get you some too.
There are no shops on the way well better get whatever you want to drink with you or let the guys organise for you.
This was all inclusive and the crew did everything from little till big issues.
This was the time I've find out I should get gopro style camera before I've got on which didn't happend.



Coron
Arrival to Coron was sad as we had to leave our beloved crew, boat and new friends even that it is very nice spot. With local airport once all tickets aren't sold out as happened to me but there still is massive ferry to Manila and small boat "ferries".
If you're scuba diver it's nice spot you can find about 10 sunken wrecks of japanese fleet from WW2. I did two of these with scuba gear and it was something unbelievable the size of the vessels, ammunition, size of the parts mainly engine and species living in.
Once you are on the Tao Philippines boat you'll do the shallow wreck snorkel. It begins in 5 and goes down to about 15m you can see the front top handrail sticking out of the water.
Nice spot to visit around Coron is Kayangan Lake on nearby Cabugao island. You'll do some snorkel first on Maquinit Islands on the way up there. Than you stop on Barracuda lake and finish trip on Twin Lagoon where your skipper cook some nice fish for you when you're loaded and chilled you come back to Coron city with sunset.
My original plan was get ferry back to El.Nido mini bus to Puerto Princesa and fly back to Manila. As loved to I left any organisation for last minute only got interested in tickets about 3 day before leave. Well I've completely changed my mind and plans stayed longer on Coron because of my favorite scube diving well it was child's dreams come through about the diving and wreck diving.



Sunset on Coron, Coron Philippines


Return to Manila
I planned to hop on ferry and go back in direction Coron - El.Nido - Puerto Princesa - Manila. Things changed as I've stayed longer time in Coron. Just few days before my flight from Manila to Singapore I've decided to book plane ticket Coron - Manila. I tried to book online but for some reason there was no success in final step. I gone downstairs to Williams restaurant for breakfest. William is the man who knows everything and everybody on Coron even have contacts in Manila and other places.


Food in Philippines
Philippino love seriously oily - greasy food even that most of them are still so skinny. Some dishes are very simple egg and rice, most foods are based on rice. As Jem from tao Philippines sais:"The Philippino source of energy number one ...RICE!"  
On the main street of Puerto Princesa between airport and first hotel I've got dish included rice and small bowl of pork which of course was swimming in grease for 25PHP (0.55USD). In the same town I've had first experience with Vietnamese soup and no idea I'll have one directly in Vietnam that year. 





San Miguel Pale Pilsener
good beer made by good recepture


Recommended Vaccination
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Japanese Encephalitis
Rabies
Typhoid
Yellow Fever

Recommended Medicaments
Malaria




Philippines Peso - PHP


Beers from Philippines:
San Miguel Beer, Pale Pilsen
San Miguel Beer Cerveza Negra
Red Horse Beer ( Lager)
San Miguel Beer Light (San Mig Light)
Beer na Beer
Gold Eagle Beer
San Miguel Draft Beer
San Miguel Super Dry
San Miguel Premium All-Malt Beer
San Miguel Strong Ice

No comments:

Post a Comment